Montana Nonresident Hunting Info

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks (MT FWP) opens the license year starting March 1 at 5:00 am MST. Nonresident Big Game (deer & elk) hunters have just 30-days to apply. Deadline is April 1…No joke!

MT FWP has 3 different packages for nonresident hunters through a random computer draw system:

      • General Deer  | $704  |  4,600 quota
      • General Elk   | $1,018  | 17,000 quota
      • General Combo (Deer & Elk)  | $1,208  | 17,000 quota

Combination licenses include: season fishing license and upland bird license.
Conservation license, base hunting license fee, and Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Pass (AISPP) must be purchased separately to complete your application process.

Nonresident hunters  \\\   increase YOUR chances of drawing a Combination license

MT FWP initiates a reference points system for nonresident combination license applicants.  It’s rather simple. The more preference points you have the better your chances over an applicant who holds fewer preference points. Here are a few key points:

      • Of the 17,000 General Combination licenses, 25% of are issued to applicants who have no preference points. 75% of the General Combination licenses go to applicants who have preference points. The more points you have the better your chances.
      • You must apply for a nonresident combination license in consecutive years or lose your points.
      • No one may hold more than 3 preference points.
      • Preference points cost $100.
      • Outfitter clients can purchase a second preference point for an additional $100 at the time of application. Licenses issued using the Outfitter Preference Point are only valid for hunting with an outfitter.
      • Draw Statistics
        2022 Stats
        3 – 2.2 Pts  |  100% Draw
        2 Pts  |  97.5% Draw
        0 Pts  |  73.6% Draw
        2021 Stats
        3 – 1.2 Pts  |  100% Draw
        1 Pt  |  31% Draw
        0.2  – 0.8 Pts  |  0% Draw
        0 Pts  |  71.7% Draw

Montana Hunting Requirements for licenses

Hunter Education (MCA 87-2-105)  |  Please visit – https://fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/
Hunter Education Requirements
If you were born after January 1, 1985, you are required to show proof of completing a Montana hunter safety and education course or an approved hunter safety course from any other state or province prior to applying for or purchasing a hunting license, whether the hunting license is for the rifle or archery season. 
Bowhunter Education Requirements
To purchase a Montana Bow and Arrow Licenses, a hunter must:
  • provide a certificate of completing the National Bowhunter Education Foundation course, or
  • provide any prior year’s bowhunting/archery stamp, tag, permit, or license from any state or province.
  • Hunters must purchase a $10 bow and arrow license

Montana Hunting Parties

If hunting Montana is contingent on your entire group hunting together, you’ll want to apply as a nonresident hunting party. Up to 5 applicants may apply as a party. The average number of preference points accumulated by applicants determines the party’s preference points.

Please visit https://fwp.mt.gov/hunt/licensingbasics for details from Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

2 Archery Elk Camps, Guided or Self-Guided

We have two archery elk camps – Meadow Creek and High Ridge. These camps are new to the area and haven’t seen little to no hunting pressure from an outfitter in nearly 10 years. These are remote back country camps.

Learn more about our camps here