2-Day Llama How-To Seminar | Bozeman, MT
Owning, Training & Packing Llamas
May 13-14 \ Gallatin Country Fairgrounds, Bozeman, MT
June 24-25 \ Montana Llama Guides Pasture, Bozeman, MT
Here at Montana Llama Guides, we are now offering you a 2-day Llama Seminar about Owning, Training and Packing with llamas. This two day event will give you a very close and personal look at the overall behavior of the llama, how to care for it at home, in the trailer and in the backcountry, as well as, tricks of the trade in packing gear, equipment and food into the backcountry. In addition, Montana Llama Guides wants to make sure we all conduct ourselves and promote good trailhead and trail etiquette along with being good stewards of our public land. Llama assisted backpacking and hunting adds a new element to the adventure and we want to make sure you have the best information for an incredible experience.
Interested in renting llamas from Montana Llama Guides?
Completion of this How-To Llama Seminar is a prerequisite to rent llamas from us. The health and safety of you, your group and the llamas is and should be the highest priority. In the past, we had 4-5 hours clinics as a crash course in packing llamas and found its almost too much information to retain in a short amount of time. The last thing anyone wants is a problem with llamas, people, and wildlife in the backcountry.
This event will be limited to 16 people for a very specialized introduction, training education on these beasts of burden. This a progressive education and training requiring each participant to be present for both days. Light breakfast, lunch, & dinner along with snacks and beverages will be provided with admission.
Black Thunder Llama Gear Demo & Sale
Come see the new products for 2023! Black Thunder will have a booth at the seminar with llama saddles, panniers, lead ropes, gear bags and more.
20% OFF for all registered participants.
10% OFF for non registrations Open to Public Meet & Greet 10:00am-2:00pm day only
Two-Day Spring 2023 Llama How-To Seminar Itinerary
April 15 Day 1 || Gallatin County Fairgrounds, Bozeman, MT
- 10:00am – 2:00pm | Open to Public Meet/Greet our classic pack llamas, guides & wranglers. Llama gifts and merchandise available. Black Thunder Llama Gear demonstration.
- 2:30pm – 5:30pm | Seminar begins – Introduction to llamas & their history, llama safety & behavior, Four basic needs, handling and leading, Llama first aid
- 5:30pm – 7:00pm | Dinner Gala and Story Telling with Brett Jones, founder and designer of Black Thunder Gear. A lifelong outdoorsman and llama packer for over 25 years, Brett has seen it all. Brett’s llamas have packed his young children, cabin-building materials, wild game and various shed antlers. Come join us for a wonderful evening. BYOB – Sponsored by Black Thunder Llama Gear.
April 16 Day 2 || Gallatin County Fairgrounds, Bozeman, MT
- 7:30am-8:30am | Breakfast (sponsored by Black Thunder Llama Gear), open discussion
- 8:30am-9:00am | Natural resources, code of ethics & etiquette, responsible recreation & Leave No Trace with stock. We also cover loading, hauling and unloading along with trailhead etiquette.
- 9:00am-12:00pm | Introduction to packing llamas, saddles and equipment, saddling and loading panniers, leading a string, terrain navigation and obstacles.
- 12:00pm – 1:00pm | Lunch – Sponsored by Black Thunder Llama Gear
- 1:00pm – 3:30pm | Setting up a pack trip – Loading, unloading & Hauling, gear organization, packing equipment and supplies.
- 3:30-4:00 | Closing remarks
Save $50 by booking llamas for rent this year. Contact us for more information.
Call 406.600.3835 or email Dennis@MontanaLlamaGuides.com
How-To Llama Seminar Travel Information
The Gallatin County Fairgrounds is a great multi-use public facility. The Fairgrounds are conveniently located just a few blocks north of Downtown Bozeman, two blocks East of the North 7th Street shopping, dining, lodging corridor, and direct access onto I-90 at 7th St is within a few blocks.
Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport
Montana’s busiest airport, BZN provides year-round service to Yellowstone NP, Big Sky, MT, Montana State University and a great basecamp to explore Montana’s 30 million acres of Public Land. There are more than 20 cities with non-stop flights to BZN and conveniently located only 10 miles from the Gallatin County Fairgrounds.
There are few lodging options within walking distance of the How-To Llama Seminar. RV’s and campers welcome. Below is a quick list closest to furthest away.
Gallatin County Fairgrounds
RV and campers welcome with parking close to Indoor Arena. Full Hook-ups, $50/night, Electric only $40/night, Dry Camping $20/night. No tent camping.
Pet-Friendly hotel with an indoor pool connected to a convention center with WiFi.
Best Western Plus GranTree Inn
Free Airport Shuttle, indoor pool, WiFi, 24-hour fitness, fridge and microwave. The Club Tavern and Grill located next door.
An upscale serve and amenities in Midtown Bozeman featuring European furnishings and American Cuisine at The Farmer’s Daughter, which is open for breakfast and lunch.
Located in the heart of Downtown Bozeman with Treeline Coffee Roasters nearby for breakfast and lunch.
Bozeman Rental Cars
Breakfast, Bites & More in Bozeman
Bozeman has become a foodie paradise. Downtown, North 7th St, 19th st have it all. North and west of the Fairgrounds you can find Seven Sushi, Pizza Campania, The Daily Coffee, Famous Dave’s Bar-B-Que, and City Brew Coffee. To the south, you’ll enjoy Backcountry Burger, Ted’s Montana Grill, Dave’s Sushi, Sweet Chili Asian Bistro and Montana Ale Works to name a few.